Are you struggling for inspiration, or unhappy with the direction your wardrobe is going? By following these simple tips, you can drastically improve your personal style whilst still retaining a sense of individuality; something that is often lost when following fashion trends!
1) Fit: A beautiful item of clothing can look awful if it doesn’t fit correctly, and at the other end of the scale, a cheap, basic t shirt can look fantastic if it has the right cut. Remember not to wear clothes that are too large; wear clothes that hug the body without being overly tight.
2) Simplicity: Try not to overdo it when stocking your wardrobes. Bold colours can make a great statement, but never wear more than three colours in combination. Make sure to wear colours that complement each other, instead of clashing. If you enjoy wearing loud and proud clothes, try not to over-accessorise, as this could make for an overbearing outfit!
3) Don’t shop alone: Sometimes a friend can spot something great, or something awful about an outfit that you may not. When trying on clothes in a store, get a second opinion. Having a friend with you can be extremely handy when you can’t choose between two items of clothing.
4) Don’t underdress: overdress: It’s always better to be slightly too smart for a situation, than slightly too scruffy. No-one will hold it against you if you wear a shirt to a t-shirt occasion, but you may get some funny looks if you wear a vest to a nice restaurant!
5) Invest in shoes: Many people neglect their shoes when putting an outfit together. Women and the fashion conscious will always notice a nicely kept and sharp looking pair of shoes. An incorrect pair of shoes can ruin your whole ensemble, so it’s worth investing in a couple nice pairs and keeping them in mint condition!
6) Ask for Feedback: Out of politeness, most friends won’t criticise your outfit, even if it’s pretty bad. Ask for honest critique, and make sure not to take offence! You may get some great suggestions to improve your personal style.
7) Facial hair: The right beard (or lack of beard) can make a massive difference to your overall style. If you prefer a stubbly look, make sure that it is well kept – keep the stubble at equal lengths and shave any extremities/rogue hairs. If you prefer more growth, make sure it is well shaped (but not overly stylised!). Despite the above, you may find that most woman prefer a totally clean shave!
Hayden Taylor are a specialist men’s fashion retailer, based in Gloucester, UK. They specialise in brands such as Barbour, Lacoste, and Laine Taylor.